Students in Stephen Lindridge’s technology class at Candor High School worked diligently throughout the 2017-2018 school year to complete an extraordinary project, a replica of the Owego Courthouse Square and surrounding area that also features a functional train. The project, a train table, is now on display at the Guthrie Clinic located at 1246 State Route 38 in Owego.
The project was made possible by a grant from the Floyd Hooker Foundation as well as donations from Curbel Plastics of Syracuse, Carol James of Ducktown, Tenn., and Angela Spaulding of Candor, among others.
On hand to receive the train table on June 14 were Director of Practice Administration at Guthrie Sherry Salisbury, and Senior Director Shawn Karney.
The train table features the Tioga Theatre, Owego Central Fire Station, the Court Street Bridge, Riverow and the Tioga County Courthouse, among other notable and historic properties.
Approximately eight students worked on the project where they utilized CAD programs, table saws, sanders, 3D printers and laser cutters, among other tools and equipment.
Lindridge shared that he is extremely thankful for the generous donations toward the project and hopes to continue the effort in future years. This marks the second train table completed.
He added, “There were many skills and lessons learned, too, although problem-solving was one of the most significant.”
Karney, who has had a lifelong model railroad interest, is pleased that Guthrie was selected as the recipient of the train table, and shared that patients and visitors will benefit from its location, and remarked, “It also represents the history of the railroads in our area.”